Contributing Writer Bio: Kathleen Gaines
Kathleen Gaines MSN, RN, BA, CBC
Kathleen Gaines is a Master’s prepared registered nurse with 15 years of experience specializing in pediatric and neonatal intensive care.
Kathleen initially graduated from the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia with a degree in English/Journalism and a minor in Biology. After working as a journalist and traveling extensively abroad, Kathleen decided to pursue her nursing degree. She then graduated from Villanova University’s accelerated second-degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
Upon graduation, Kathleen accepted a position as a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) nurse at a top children’s hospital on the East Coast. After gaining experience, she pursued per diem positions at other local hospitals including a U.S. News & World Report Top 10 Children’s Hospital.
Despite having NICU experience, Kathleen branched out into other aspects of pediatric nursing including specializing in pediatric intensive care and pediatric cardiac intensive care.
Kathleen graduated from Loyola University New Orleans with a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) specializing in education. While still working at the bedside, Kathleen now also teaches the next generation of nurses in pediatric clinicals.
Kathleen Gaines’ Education
• University of Mary Washington, Bachelor of Arts
• Villanova University, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Loyola University New Orleans, Master of Science in Nursing
Kathleen Gaines’ Professional Experience
• 15 years as a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit/Neonatal Intensive Care Unit RN
• Certified Breastfeeding Counselor Certified
• Trauma and IV Certified
• Pediatric Clinical Instructor
• Expert Freelance Nurse Writer
• Owner of RN Writing Simplified, Inc.
Kathleen Gaines’ Professional Accomplishments and Achievements
• Internationally Published
• Multiple Daisy Award nomination
• Nightingale Award for Nurse Educators at Loyola University New Orleans
• American Nurses Association, Member
• Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, Member
• Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
• Lambda Iota Tau, English Honorary Society
Kathleen Gaines’ Hobbies and Interests
• Spending time with family
• Polish Dancing