The Institute of Medicine (IOM) is on a mission to help ensure that 80% of all the registered nurses across the United States are educated at the baccalaureate level or higher by 2020. We strongly support this initiative because numerous studies have shown that the more education a nurse has, the better-quality care he or she can provide, and the better the related outcomes will be. In 2010, when this initiative took off, only 49% of RNs were educated at the BSN level, and though this number has increased to 60% since then, experts believe that the goal of 80% may only be realized in 2029, much later than expected. On the other hand, endorsing the IOM's initiative, many employers now only exclusively hire BSN-educated RNs, leaving ADN-educated RNs struggling to find gainful employment. As obvious as it seems, returning to school is a great option for these nurses who want to continue to work in the healthcare industry. However, with costs ranging from $25,000 to $100,000 per year, it is simply not within their budget to do so. We hope this scholarship in its own small way can help existing RNs achieve the baccalaureate education that will drive them forward and ensure better quality care.
The winner of "Secure Your Future Scholarship" will receive a one-time award of $1,500. The check will be directly written to the winner's college or university. This award can only be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, and supplies. Please note the award cannot be used for any other expenses.
There is no cost or charge of any kind to apply for this scholarship. Your only expense will be in terms of the time and efforts to complete your application.
The last date to apply for this scholarship is May 30, 2021, at 11.59 pm Pacific Standard Time.
To apply for this scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility requirements -
• You must be a Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States.
• You must have completed an ACEN or CCNE accredited Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN/ASN) program with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above on a 4.0 scale.
• You must be holding an active Registered Nurse (RN) license.
• You must be currently enrolled full-time or part-time in an ACEN or CCNE accredited RN to BSN program.
(Students accepted into an accredited RN to BSN program are also eligible to apply, provided they enroll by the scholarship application deadline of May 30, 2021.)
• You must have at least one full semester of academic studies left to complete following May 30, 2021.
All applicants must submit the following documents in order to complete their application process -
• You must submit a well-crafted Resume that includes information related to your education history, practical/work experience, awards, honors, volunteer experience, memberships in professional organizations/societies, and any professional activities directly related to your line of work.
• You must submit a Letter of Recommendation written by an individual not related to you, who can best describe your strengths, achievements, and the potential to succeed in your academic and/or career goals. The letter can include details about your academic merit, service, and leadership. The letter must be written on letterhead from one of the following: a faculty member from your previous ADN program or the current RN to BSN program you are enrolled in, mentor, advisor, employer, or supervisor).
• You must submit an impactful and original 1000 - 1500 words Essay.
WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE MAJOR REASONS BEHIND WORKPLACE VIOLENCE AGAINST NURSES, AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO PREVENT IT?
Workplace violence is one of the most serious issues nurses face today. Things like actual one-on-one violence and threats of violence from not only patients, but also patients' families, coworkers, and facility intruders have been known to drive some of the most talented nurses out of the healthcare industry forever. Violence against nurses in the US has more than doubled in the last decade. Over a quarter of all nurses have reported some sort of physical abuse in the last year alone, and more than half have reported verbal abuse. When nurses are faced with violence and even threats of violence, it negatively impacts their wellbeing - both physically and mentally. Nurses who experience such violence and threats tend to experience a lack of motivation at work, which directly compromises the quality of care their patients receive. Finding new ways to reduce the violence against nurses is important for not only reducing the number of talented individuals leaving the workforce but also for improving the quality of patient care.
The NursingProcess.org Scholarship Committee will review and evaluate all the submitted applications without regard to the applicant's race, religion, color, gender, age, or disability. Winner selection is based on five important factors that include essay, academic performance, resume/CV, personal and professional goals statement, and letter of recommendation.
|• Effectively Addresses the Topic|
• Compelling and Original
• Communicates Ideas Effectively
|• Convincing Arguments Supported with Specific Examples and Evidence|
• Critical Thinking and Logical Reasoning Skills
|• Correct Syntax, Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation||10%|
|Cumulative GPA (Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN/ASN)||35%|
|Personal and Professional Goals Statement||10%|
|Letter of Recommendation||10%|
The winning student selected by our judges to receive the "Secure Your Future Scholarship" will be personally notified by email and telephone on or before July 1, 2021. The winner is then required to submit the following documents for verification within two weeks of receiving this notification. In the event of us not being able to reach the winner at the email address or telephone number mentioned in his or her application, NursingProcess.org reserves the right to offer the scholarship to the next deserving applicant.
• You must submit Proof of Enrollment showing that you are currently enrolled in an ACEN or CCNE accredited RN to BSN program. The proof can be either an official college enrollment verification form, most recent tuition receipt, or an unofficial transcript.
• You must submit a Transcript Copy of your Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN/ASN). We accept an unofficial transcript provided it includes your name, college/university name, and grade point average (GPA).
• You must sign and submit an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability Release.
The winner of "Secure Your Future Scholarship" will be officially announced on our website, on or before July 15, 2021.
Immediately after announcing the winner of "Secure Your Future Scholarship" on our website, we will send a check of $1,500 directly to the financial aid office of the winner's college or university. It may take up to 10 working days for the school to receive the check.
We are here to help you! Send us your questions or comments, and we will get back to you within 2 to 3 business days.