Are you a registered nurse passionate about providing healthcare services to women? Does the idea of working in a more independent role in healthcare sound interesting? If so, have you considered becoming a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner? Maybe you thought of this career path but do not know where to begin and wonder, “What are the best online women’s health nurse practitioner programs in the nation? Perhaps you have decided to specialize in women’s health or want to learn more about online WHNP programs. If that sounds like you, you have come to the right place.
In this article, I will share the 24 best accredited online WHNP programs in the nation for 2023. I will also go over some of the program basics including cost, length of time to complete your degree, average salaries, and seven bonus tips to help you get accepted to the school of your choice. Keep reading to find out more about this exciting career option.
The goal of online WHNP programs is to prepare you for a career as an advanced-practice registered nurse capable of providing care to women of all ages across the health spectrum. Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner programs are graduate degree programs and feature either an MSN or DNP nurse practitioner track. WHNP online programs aim to teach you to provide care to the female population, focusing on menstruation, fertility, childbirth, menopause, gynecologic care, and much more. Online WHNP programs offer distance learning formats of varying degrees, providing you with more flexibility than a traditional on-campus program.
There are many advantages of choosing online women’s health nurse practitioner programs and considering them carefully will help you decide if this is the right academic and career path for you. Here are the 7 top advantages of earning your degree through online WHNP programs.
One of the top advantages of online WHNP programs is that your specialized degree prepares you for advanced roles and makes finding a good job easier. The ability to provide advanced care to women makes you more marketable to employers seeking practitioners in women’s health settings.
Although your degree will be focused on women’s health, you can choose to gear your practice toward a subspecialty when you complete your degree through a women’s health nurse practitioner online program. Subspecialties may include obstetrics, infertility, reproductive endocrinology, and maternal-fetal medicine.
, 60% of maternal deaths may be preventable. In an online women’s health nurse practitioner program, you will learn measures to help improve patient outcomes by providing specialized care backed by evidence-based best practices.
An important advantage of earning your degree through online WHNP programs is that you build upon your previous knowledge and experience to transition to your new degree and professional role. The WHNP program will build on your foundational nursing knowledge and propel you toward an advanced practice degree focused on women’s health.
Another advantage to the online WHNP programs is that you can continue working at your current job. Online classes are delivered in a manner that allows for more flexibility, which means less time commuting and more time to do things you want or need to do, like keep your job. Many students choose to work in women’s health settings while in school, which means you may acclimate to the role of women’s healthcare provider more easily.
If you like the idea of helping shape the delivery of healthcare for women, you can use your degree from an online WHNP program to become a nurse educator. Your graduate degree and specialized training in women’s healthcare will make you a perfect candidate to lead the way for future nurses and WHNPs.
Women often do not receive the specialized care they need to ensure positive outcomes and reduce preventable illnesses or death. These health disparities are even greater in other countries around the world. By earning your degree through online women’s health nurse practitioner programs, you can use your education to provide this essential care to women across the globe.
WHAT ARE THE BEST ONLINE WHNP PROGRAMS IN THE NATION FOR 2023?
(Based on our ranking methodology, the following are the 24 best accredited online WHNP programs in the nation for the year 2023.)
1. Duke University - Durham, NC
Programs Offered: MSN
Duke University offers two of the best online WHNP programs in the nation. The programs are designed to help you build upon your previous nursing experience with a focus on specialized care for women. Through the program’s exceptional curriculum, you will work with diverse populations such as adolescents, women suffering from infertility, women experiencing pregnancy, childbirth, and other issues related to women’s health.
In the MSN program, you will earn 45 credits and complete 672 hours of clinical practice. Courses are completed online and complemented by attending a two-day on-campus intensive each semester.
In the BSN-to-DNP program, you will earn both an MSN and a DNP degree. The program curriculum includes 74 credit hours and requires you to complete a minimum of 672 clinical hours. Students in the DNP program must have at least 1,000 post-baccalaureate clinical hours. Therefore, clinical hours more than the 672 allotted in the curriculum may be necessary. Like the MSN program, you will complete your courses online and attend one on-campus intensive session per semester. These can be anywhere from two to five days in length.
The MSN program can be completed in two years of full-time or three years of part-time study. BSN-to-DNP students who enroll full-time can complete the program in three years. Part-time students may take four years or up to six years.
Duke University’s online WHNP degree program admission requirements include holding a previous BSN degree and having an active RN license. You will need a GPA of 3.0 or above and a current resume highlighting any previous degrees and work experience. You must also provide the following documents: transcripts from your BSN degree (including an undergraduate statistics course), three reference letters, and a written personal statement. The last requirement will be to complete a telephone or in-person interview
Why Choose Duke University Online WHNP
• At Duke University, you have the unique opportunity to complete a clinical rotation at an international location during your WHNP program. This will give you exposure to the global needs of women.
• Duke University is ranked as one of the top graduate schools for nursing by U.S. News & World Report.
• Duke University offers the only WHNP program available in North Carolina.
• The university offers two start dates during the year (Fall or Spring) to better meet your scheduling needs.
• Duke University School of Nursing (DUSON) merit and need-based scholarships are offered specifically for graduate students, like students in the online WHNP program.
2. Vanderbilt University - Nashville, TN
Programs Offered: MSN
Vanderbilt University prepares students to provide care to women throughout their lives. Offering one of the best WHNP online programs, the university prepares you with the knowledge and clinical experience to provide gynecologic care to adolescents, specialized care to women trying to become pregnant, who are pregnant, and much more. If you are passionate about meeting the unique care needs of women, the Vanderbilt University Women’s Health and Gender-Related NP program is an excellent option.
If you have no previous nursing experience, you will complete the required courses in person for the first year of study before starting the modified distance learning portion of the program. If you have a current BSN degree and clinical experience, you may take all your classes online via the school’s modified distance learning option. You will also complete simulations and 630 clinical hours to round out your educational experience.
The time to complete your degree will depend on whether you choose a part-time or full-time track. Part-time students typically take three years to graduate. Full-time students with a BSN can complete the program in two years.
Vanderbilt’s admission requirements vary slightly depending on whether you currently hold a BSN degree. All applicants must fill out a graduate application and send official transcripts from their previous educational institutions. Then, you will write and submit a statement of purpose specific to the online women’s health nurse practitioner program to emphasize why you want to earn this degree. You must have a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or above, three letters of recommendation, and have completed all prerequisite classes.
RN applicants must hold an active license, and non-RN applicants must be able to meet the RN eligibility requirements in Tennessee once they can apply.
Why Choose Vanderbilt University Online WHNP
• Vanderbilt University is ranked in the top 10 by U.S. News & World Report for its graduate MSN program.
• The university is located close to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, providing you with the option to complete clinicals in this well-known setting.
• Vanderbilt University is home to one of the largest online WHNP programs in the nation with an outstanding reputation for excellent academic programs and leadership which produce highly qualified graduates.
• At Vanderbilt, you will have assistance finding clinical placements through the Clinical Placement Department either near the Vanderbilt campus or closer to where you live. Placement assistance ensures you have a variety of clinical experiences relevant to your chosen path, WHNP.
3. Thomas Jefferson University - Philadelphia, PA
Programs Offered: MSN
The women’s health nurse practitioner online program through Thomas Jefferson University focuses on improving health outcomes for women of all ages. The program’s goal is to prepare nurses who can elicit change and improve the future of the nursing field. At Thomas Jefferson University, you will engage in an enriching education that will allow you to have a rewarding career working in many settings. Both the MSN and BSN-to-DNP programs are offered entirely online, and courses are taught by advanced-practice nurses who remain in clinical practice or research relevant to women’s health.
The MSN program can be completed in two to five years after you earn 36 credits. You will also accumulate 672 clinical hours. Your clinical placements will vary as you will provide input and have assistance from university faculty along the way in securing valuable placements.
The BSN-to-DNP program is designed for baccalaureate-prepared registered nurses seeking to earn a doctorate in nursing. The program can be completed in four to six years and features a 66-credit hour curriculum. The program will help you solidify and advance your nursing expertise, allowing you to practice at the doctoral level. All Doctor of Nursing Practice students complete at least 1,000 post-BSN clinical hours.
Thomas Jefferson University offers two of the best WHNP programs online. Candidates must have an active, unrestricted RN license, a BSN from an accredited school of nursing, and a minimum college GPA of 3.0. You must submit all previous transcripts from undergraduate and graduate degrees. Additionally, you will prepare a personal statement and submit two letters of recommendation, a resume, and a copy of your current RN license.
If you are an international applicant, you may also need to submit a test score from an English language proficiency exam.
Why Choose Thomas Jefferson University Online WHNP
• Thomas Jefferson University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the Best Online Programs for graduate nursing in the nation.
• The university is named an Apple Distinguished School for 2021-2024 due to its integration and pursuit of technology to enhance student experiences.
• The university’s Clinical Care Partnership with Thomas Jefferson University Hospital allows you to complete clinicals and other hands-on experiences at this well-known facility.
• The school offers access to the Scott Memorial Library for students who live near campus and online resources for those who do not.
• The university reports that WHNP graduates have national certification exam pass rates above the national average and attribute this success to a thorough and rigorous curriculum that prepares students for their future careers.
4. University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
The University of Utah is known for offering one of the nation's best online women’s health nurse practitioner programs. You will learn to care for women and their specific needs starting at puberty and following them throughout life.
At the University of Utah, you will have a well-rounded educational experience and unique clinical experiences in the faculty-run Birthcare Healthcare Practice. You will also have access to customized simulation training and receive instruction on interprofessional communication and relationships. Using your undergraduate nursing foundation, you will learn skills to provide evidence-based care and implement change to improve health outcomes for women. You will earn 80 credits and 1,000 clinical hours over the course of two to three years of study.
Before being considered for admission, you will need a BSN degree or be in the process of earning one. You must also have a college GPA of 3.0 or above, an active RN license, and you will be encouraged to have one year of clinical experience. All applicants must have completed an undergraduate statistics course and an upper-division pathophysiology course. When submitting your application, you must include official transcripts, a resume, three letters of recommendation, and a goal statement.
Why Choose the University of Utah Online WHNP
• The university is ranked by U.S. News & World Report in its Best Grad Schools for online Doctor of Nursing Practice programs.
• Students in the online WHNP program are guaranteed clinical placements in specified regions of Utah, and assistance with placements is available if you live outside of this area.
• The university offers teaching and research assistantships to help you gain experience while completing your degree.
• There are several university-funded graduate scholarships available for DNP students.
• The university receives funding through the NIH for nursing-related research which gives you opportunities to work with faculty and gain research experience.
5. Emory University - Atlanta, GA
Programs Offered: MSN
Are you ready to provide care and meet the demand for advanced practice nurses who specialize in women’s health and gender-related care? If so, Emory University’s accredited online WHNP programs could be the perfect fit for you!
At Emory, you will learn to deliver care focused on the sexual and reproductive needs of patients. The program is dedicated to ensuring all people have access to the care they need. You can choose either the MSN or BSN-to-DNP option, depending on your undergraduate background and experience.
The MSN program is an excellent choice if you do not want to spend years in college. Qualified applicants can earn a Master of Science in Nursing specializing in women’s health and graduate in 15 months. You will complete courses online, supplemented by on-campus intensives throughout your program. You will earn 60 credits and complete 519 clinical hours and 163 additional simulation hours to round out your experience.
You can complete the BSN-to-DNP program in two and a half years if you choose the full-time option or a little over four years if you choose the part-time option. Both tracks include 74 credits, 1,140 clinical hours, and 120 DNP practicum hours.
The admission requirements for this online Women’s Health NP program vary slightly based on the MSN or BSN-to-DNP option. Both programs require official transcripts, a GPA of 3.0 or above, a resume, a personal statement, professional references, and language proficiency test scores if English is your second language. For the DNP program, you must hold a master’s or bachelor’s degree in nursing and have an active RN license. MSN applicants must hold an associate degree in nursing and a non-nursing bachelor’s degree.
Why Choose Emory University Online WHNP
• Emory University is recognized By U.S. News and World Report as one of the best graduate schools for nursing education.
• A high percentage of nursing students receive financial aid, which can be a significant deciding factor when choosing between multiple schools.
• You receive assistance with clinical placements to ensure you have access to sites and preceptors that will enhance your educational experience.
• You will learn from nationally renowned faculty passionate about educating future WHNPs.
• You can connect with over 12,000 Emory University nursing alums to help you network and feel supported during your education and later in your career.
6. The University of Alabama at Birmingham - Birmingham, AL
Programs Offered: MSN
The University of Alabama at Birmingham offers two options to specialize in women’s health. By choosing the MSN or BSN-to-DNP option, you will receive education through some of the best online WHNP programs available.
At the University of Alabama at Birmingham, you will learn to analyze research and evidence and apply the information to your practice. Your dedicated faculty will help you improve patient outcomes by teaching you the necessary skills to advocate for patients and be an influential member of interprofessional teams. The online WHNP program will help you become an expert on women’s health, providing you with the knowledge and experience to diagnose and treat acute and chronic health concerns while educating women on ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
In the MSN program, you will complete classes online through a synchronous platform and attend on-campus intensives. This program is offered part-time and consists of 45 credits, with 10 of them being clinical credit hours. The program runs for six semesters, which will be completed with no breaks in between.
In the BSN-to-DNP program, you will complete your coursework in a part-time distance-accessible online platform. You will earn 79 credits, with 20 of them being credit hours from hands-on clinical experience. The program runs for nine or ten semesters, depending on if you choose to start in the Fall or Summer.
If you choose one of the women’s health nurse practitioner online program options offered through The University of Alabama at Birmingham, you must meet the following admission requirements. You must have a BSN degree earned at an accredited nursing school, an active and unrestricted RN license, and a GPA of 3.0 or above during your last 60 hours of college coursework. If your GPA is below 3.20, you must include your GRE, GMAT, or MAT scores. Additionally, you will need three letters of reference, a resume, and official transcripts from any previous college or university you have attended.
Why Choose the University of Alabama at Birmingham Online WHNP
• The University of Alabama at Birmingham offers part-time completion tracks to allow you to continue working while pursuing your degree as a Women’s Health NP.
• At the University of Alabama at Birmingham, you will have assistance and support to help you find clinical placements and preceptors. Through the university’s network, you will have access to over 5,000 clinical affiliates.
• The University of Alabama at Birmingham is consistently ranked with U.S. News and World Report for its nursing programs, including the MSN and BSN-to-DNP options.
• The university is recognized for its contributions to increasing the number of men in nursing.
7. University of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH
Programs Offered: MSN
Earning your MSN degree at the University of Cincinnati is a terrific way to continue working and advance your career. The university features one of the nation’s best women’s health nurse practitioner online programs and will help prepare you to care for women experiencing a multitude of healthcare concerns. While WHNPs generally focus on sexual health, fertility, pregnancy, and gynecologic concerns, at the University of Cincinnati, you will also learn how to promote wellness and educate patients on health maintenance throughout their lives.
If you are interested in working with adolescents, pregnant women, or post-menopausal women, this program is an excellent option. The program offers a curriculum that includes 49 credits of coursework and clinicals, including 672 direct patient care clinical hours. You will graduate with the education and skills necessary to take and pass the women's health NP national certification exam
At the University of Cincinnati, you may choose from three start dates per year and will complete your classes online, including a two-day virtual, synchronous intensive. This intensive allows you to meet and interact with other students and faculty to enhance your overall experience. You can graduate from the MSN WHNP program in as little as two years and be ready to start your career.
Admission to the University of Cincinnati online WHNP program is contingent upon meeting all admission criteria, including holding an active RN license, a previous BSN degree where you acquired a minimum GPA of 3.0, completion of a statistics course, and at least one year of nursing experience. In addition, when submitting your application, you must include a goal statement, official transcripts from your BSN degree, references, and a resume. A GRE score is not required to apply for admission.
Why Choose the University of Cincinnati Online WHNP
• The WHNP online program at the University of Cincinnati prides itself on having faculty who have achieved doctorate degrees and are currently practicing in their field.
• The University of Cincinnati is ranked by U.S. News & World Report for offering some of the top online graduate nursing programs, like the online WHNP program.
• As one of the first institutions to provide online courses, the university is experienced in providing an optimal online experience to meet your needs.
• Over 25% of their graduates are first-generation college students, which emphasizes their dedication to offering accessible education opportunities for everyone.
Programs Offered: MSN
, and MSN-to-DNP
: As one of the leading and accredited WHNP online programs, the University of Missouri-Kansas City offers two degree options, an MSN or a DNP. All online WHNP program options at the University of Missouri-Kansas City include courses online using Canvas software. Depending on the type of course and instructor, your classes may be synchronous or asynchronous. Canvas allows you to have one centralized place to access all the resources you need to complete your coursework.
Students attend on-campus clinical institutes and campus residencies at scheduled times during the program. Clinicals can be completed in the state where you live or any state where you hold an active nursing license.
The MSN program takes two to three years to complete, depending on whether you enroll part-time or full-time. You will earn 46 credit hours
, 660 clinical hours, and 90 additional hours in a lab setting.
The BSN-to-DNP program can take four to five years, depending on whether you take classes part-time or full-time. With both options, you will earn 74 credit hours and more than 1,200 clinical hours during your time in the program.
The MSN-to-DNP program can be completed in two to three years. This pathway is comprised of 31 credit hours
and 660 clinical hours. If you have not completed all prerequisite classes before starting the program, you may need to earn more credits and lengthen the time required to graduate.
Admission to the MSN and BSN-to-DNP online women’s health nurse practitioner programs, require having a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited nursing school. MSN-to-DNP candidates need a Master of Science in Nursing from an accredited nursing program. Candidates for all programs are encouraged to have two years of full-time nursing experience before starting this program. When applying submit all previous college/university transcripts, three evaluation forms (these are like professional references), a personal statement, and proof of your active nursing license.
Why Choose the University of Missouri-Kansas City Online WHNP
• The University of Missouri-Kansas City is nationally recognized for its ongoing research, including a plan to become an HIV-prevention resource center.
• At the University of Missouri-Kansas City, you have access to university-funded scholarships to help make your WHNP degree more affordable.
• The university is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive community facilitated by the Chancellor’s Diversity Council.
• You can transfer from any UM System University program. By transferring your credits and continuing or earning your degree online, you will have increased flexibility.
9. Frontier Nursing University - Hyden, KY
Programs Offered: MSN
Frontier Nursing University offers one of the best online WHNP programs at the master’s level of nursing. The program exemplifies the school of nursing’s mission to provide care for all individuals. Focusing on women’s health, Frontier University will train you to serve this population by providing specialized care to ensure the health and wellness of female clients.
The MSN WHNP program features online classwork and is available part-time or full-time. Most students complete the program in two years. However, part-time students may take three years or longer. Classroom experiences are enhanced by completing two on-campus immersion experiences. The program consists of 49 credit hours and 675 clinical hours, which can be completed near your home.
At Frontier Nursing University, you will receive direction and support from faculty with doctoral degrees who can guide you throughout the program. A dedicated team of clinical specialists with access to almost 13,000 clinical sites and 16,000 preceptors nationwide will help locate clinical placements for you.
For admission to the Frontier Nursing University women’s health nurse practitioner online program, you must be a registered nurse with an active license and hold at least a bachelor’s degree. You need one year of nursing experience or a combination of healthcare work in a women’s health-related field. Preference is given to candidates with a minimum college GPA of 3.0. However, if your grade point average is between 2.8 and 2.99, you can submit a written statement explaining why your GPA is below the minimum requirement and request conditional admission.
Why Choose Frontier Nursing University Online WHNP
• Frontier Nursing University is recognized for offering one of the best online graduate nursing programs by U.S. News & World Report.
• WHNP graduates consistently demonstrate high pass rates on national certification exams.
• Frontier Nursing University has a long-standing history of providing distance learning to ensure people in rural and low-income areas or with minimal services have access to quality nursing education.
• The Frontier Nursing University is one of the nation's largest non-profit universities.
• Frontier Nursing University is one of the oldest nursing education programs in the United States, with more than 80 years of experience preparing nurses for advanced-level careers.
10. University of Nebraska Medical Center - Omaha, NE
Programs Offered: MSN
You can prepare for a career as an advanced practice registered nurse and WHNP through one of the MSN or BSN-to-DNP online WHNP program options at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The university is dedicated to preparing you to be a leader in your field, providing quality healthcare services. The University of Nebraska Medical Center uses a holistic approach teaching students to care for both women and men, acting as an inclusive provider for people of all gender identities seeking care for their gynecological, sexual, and reproductive health needs.
The MSN program features a 48-credit hour curriculum and can be completed in three years. If you pursue the MSN WHNP program, you will complete at least 600 clinical hours. The BSN-to-DNP program can be completed in three to four years and requires you to earn 59 to 70 credits
. The post-BSN pathway includes a minimum of 1,000 clinical hours.
For both the online women’s health nurse practitioner program tracks, you must have a BSN and hold an active, unrestricted nursing license. Although it is not required, it is recommended that you have one to three years of nursing experience in women’s health. Your GPA in your previous degree will need to have been 3.0 or higher. If English is your second language, you must provide TOEFL or IELTS test scores.
Why Choose University of Nebraska Medical Center Online WHNP
• The University of Nebraska Medical Center offers graduate assistantships for DNP students. This program pays for tuition and includes a monthly stipend in exchange for 15 hours or more per week working in research or as a teacher’s assistant.
• The university is one of the top-producing institutions for U.S. Fulbright scholars
• As a student in the University of Nebraska Medical Center online WHNP program, you have access to the Center for Patient, Family, and Community Engagement in Chronic Care Management (CENTRIC). This center is managed by nurse scientists and offers access to research and learning opportunities.
• The university offers faculty and student research support through the Niedfelt Nursing Research center.
11. University of Illinois at Chicago - Chicago, IL
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
If you want to become a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, there is no better way to learn than from practicing WHNPs, like the faculty of the University of Illinois at Chicago’s accredited online WHNP program. As a student in the University of Illinois program, you will have access to clinical sites and preceptors in specialized settings that will give you a diverse foundation to apply to your future career.
The BSN-to-DNP women’s health NP online program features an 87-credit hour curriculum. Full-time students typically complete the program in three years. Part-time students take four to six years to graduate.
By incorporating the School of Nursing’s mission into every aspect of your education, you will be prepared to provide top-tier care to women with varying health needs. Clinical sites and preceptors will be found and arranged for you to ensure adequate clinical experiences. After completing the program, you will be eligible to sit for national certification examinations administered by the National Certification Corporation
Although you may apply to the online WHNP program before completing your BSN, you must complete the degree before beginning the DNP program. Candidates must have an active, unencumbered RN license and three professional or academic recommendation letters. You must provide a professional resume and a Statement of Intent. The minimum GPA for admission is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, if your GPA is less than 3.25, you must submit a GRE score to supplement your application.
Why Choose the University of Illinois at Chicago Online WHNP
• The University of Illinois at Chicago offers six campuses to complete your degree through its hybrid online and campus-based blended courses format, allowing you to choose a convenient site.
• The University of Illinois at Chicago’s DNP program is ranked as one of the nation's top Doctor of Nursing Practice programs by U.S. News and World Report.
• Graduates of the online WHNP program demonstrate exceptional pass rates on national certification exams!
• You will have access to The Office of Research Facilitation, which supports faculty and students with proposals, grant funding, and consultations.
• The university offers scholarships and graduate assistantships to help you cover the costs of your DNP degree.
12. Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
Programs Offered: MSN
: If you like the idea of synchronized learning from the comfort of home, you cannot go wrong by choosing Drexel University to earn your MSN and specialize as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner. The university, which offers one of the best accredited WHNP online programs, provides you with the theoretical knowledge and clinical skills needed to adapt to the changing healthcare needs of women and their partners.
The university offers engaging content to help you develop the skills and knowledge needed to navigate issues related to gynecologic and reproductive health, women’s health prevention needs, and more. You will become a leader in your field with the ability to practice in a healthcare world driven by technology and evidence-based research.
While most coursework is completed online, you will attend scheduled on-campus intensive sessions and participate in simulation labs under the direction of program faculty. At Drexel, you can find and coordinate your own clinical sites and preceptors with assistance from the Division of Graduate Nursing.
The MSN online Women’s Health NP program comprises a 55-credit hour curriculum. You will also complete 640 clinical hours.
Classes are offered in four 10-week sessions annually, allowing you to take more classes in a shorter time. You can complete the program in two to three years, depending on whether you enroll part-time or full-time.
Candidates seeking admission to the Drexel University online WHNP program must have a BSN degree, an active and unrestricted RN license, and a college GPA of 3.0 or higher. With your admissions application, you must include official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, a written personal statement, and your resume.
Why Choose Drexel University Online WHNP
• Drexel University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report for offering one of the nation's 50 Best Online Graduate Nursing programs.
• At Drexel, you will learn from board-certified instructors and advanced practice clinicians.
• You will have access to the 10,000 hours podcast, which provides valuable insight and advice from nursing experts and university faculty.
• You will have opportunities to network with colleagues, potential employers, and peers through the Digital Dragon community.
13. Kent State University - Kent, OH
Programs Offered: MSN
If attending on-campus program components is not an option for you, the fully online WHPN program at Kent State University could be a great choice. Kent State University is dedicated to helping you develop and accomplish your professional goals and reach an elevated level of nursing practice and offers options for earning an MSN or DNP. Through comprehensive and engaging courses, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to care for women of all ages.
The MSN degree consists of 42 credits
, including 12 from major course requirements and 30 from concentration-specific coursework. This pathway also includes 600 clinical hours. Although most students complete the MSN WHNP program in three years, you can take up to six years to graduate, if needed.
The BSN-to-DNP degree will take three to five years to complete. The first two years will be focused on the MSN curriculum, whereas the second part of the program will be the doctorate curriculum.
The BSN-to-DNP Women’s Health NP program features a curriculum of 71-79 credits. Credits are earned through online classes, practice scenarios, and clinical hours. You will earn at least 1,000 clinical practice hours. The program culminates with a DNP Scholarly Project.
Admission to both the MSN and BSN-to-DNP online Women’s Health NP program options requires applicants to be licensed registered nurses with a BSN degree and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all attempted college coursework. You must maintain current, unrestricted RN licensure for the duration of the program. Prerequisite class requirements for both degrees include an undergraduate or graduate-level statistics course with at least a C grade. You must submit your GRE score (no more than five years old), a resume, a personal essay, and three letters of reference along with your application.
Why Choose Kent State University Online WHNP
• Kent State University offers one of the most affordable tuition programs with low per-credit rates, regardless of where you live.
• Faculty advisors will work one on one with you to develop your plan of study and promote your success.
• Small class sizes in the online WHNP program provide you with the individualized attention you need to succeed.
• The university offers virtual proctoring of tests and 24/7 tech support, which means you do not need to attend campus for testing.
14. University of South Alabama - Mobile, AL
Programs Offered: MSN
, and MSN-to-DNP
The University of South Alabama offers three of the best online WHNP programs in the U.S. With online classes and minimal on-campus requirements, you can become a WHNP and learn from a community of highly trained faculty.
Students seeking an MSN degree will earn 45 credit hours
through online courses. You will attend one NP clinical skills intensive on campus during the fall term. Clinical hours can be completed near where you live. You will complete 860 clinical hours in various women’s health focus areas, including 90 hours at a primary site, 90 hours in OB and GYN, 180 hours in a women’s health setting, and an additional 240 hours in your final semester in another women’s health setting.
The BSN-to-DNP program is a 69-credit hour program that takes 10 to 12 semesters to complete. This means it will take you five years of full-time study or six years of part-time study. You will attend one on-campus intensive at the beginning of your program. The program includes 1,140 clinical hours and requires you to complete a DNP Scholarly Project.
The MSN-to-DNP features a 36-credit hour curriculum and can be completed in two years of full-time study. You will complete a minimum of 540 clinical hours providing direct patient care in various women’s healthcare settings.
Candidates seeking admission to any of the online WHNP programs at the University of Alabama must have a BSN or MSN, depending on which program they wish to pursue. You must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse and have at least two years' experience working as an RN. In addition to your admission application, you must submit two letters of recommendation, a professional resume/curriculum vitae, and an Admissions Essay.
Why Choose the University of South Alabama Online WHNP
• As a student at the University of South Alabama online WHNP program, you can benefit from engaging learning opportunities and access to scholarship funds.
• You will have access to USA South SANES ECHO: a program that offers special coursework and clinical experiences for practitioners focused on providing direct care to patients who have experienced sexual assault or violence.
• Clinical affiliation specialists who will help you find and secure clinical placements and preceptors.
• Graduates of the University of South Alabama online WHNP programs have excellent certification exam pass rates and job placement rates.
15. Arizona State University - Phoenix, AZ
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
Arizona State University is home to another of the best WHNP online programs. The program is designed for baccalaureate-prepared registered nurses and awards a Doctor of Nursing Practice upon completion.
The BSN-to-DNP program features a hybrid online format with synchronous and asynchronous online classes, in-person campus visits, and direct care patient clinicals. You will learn a holistic approach to women’s care, including how to assess, diagnose, and treat women with a vast array of needs. The curriculum also includes content dealing with some male sexual and reproductive health issues.
The BSN-to-DNP program includes 84 credit hours
, including a DNP Scholarly Project. You will complete 1,125 clinical practicum hours, more than the ANCC requirement. If you live within Maricopa County, AZ, you will be placed at clinical sites and assigned a preceptor to supervise you as you complete your clinical hours. If you reside outside of this area, you will select your clinical sites and preceptors with guidance from the college of nursing.
To gain admission to Arizona State University’s WHNP doctoral program, you will need a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited nursing school. You must submit official transcripts reflecting a minimum 3.0 GPA for your last attempted 60 college credits, three professional letters of recommendation, your resume, a goal statement, and an admission essay.
Why Choose Arizona State University Online WHNP
• Arizona State University offers Specific College of Nursing scholarship opportunities for enrolled students.
• You will learn from nursing faculty dedicated to research and improving health outcomes.
• The university offers access to research opportunities that can improve your career outlook after graduation.
• You will benefit from the Arizona State University mentor network that can connect you with alums and professionals that can help you succeed.
• ASU offers opportunities to participate in global education, including research and service learning.
16. Loyola University Chicago - Maywood, IL
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
: If you want to earn a degree as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner from a well-known and respected program, Loyola University Chicago is worth considering. The university offers a BSN-to-DNP Women’s Health NP online program that features an individualized plan of study to provide you with the support and flexibility you need to move your nursing career to the next level. As a graduate of this program, you will be a specialized provider of women’s healthcare and gender-inclusive reproductive care.
With small class sizes and a hybrid approach to learning, you will receive instruction through online classes and in-person training. You can choose part-time or full-time enrollment. Full-time students graduate in three to four years. Part-time students take five to six years to complete the program, depending on each semester's total course load.
The BSN-to-DNP program offers a curriculum consisting of 70 credit hours. Classes in this program include Reproductive Health, Childbearing & Families, and Pathophysiology in Women’s Health. The program includes more than 1,000 clinical practicum hours, which are completed in the Chicago area. At the end of your program, you will complete a DNP project before graduating with your doctoral degree.
Registered nurses with a baccalaureate degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program may apply for admission to the Loyola University Chicago online WHNP program. You must submit your official transcripts from any college or university you attended and earned credit, two letters of recommendation, a personal statement, a current CV or resume, and proof of your current and active nursing license. Additionally, candidates must have a minimum college GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale.
Why Choose Loyola University Chicago Online WHNP
• Loyola University has 85 years of experience providing nursing education, a true testament of dedication to nursing education.
• Loyola University Chicago is committed to inclusivity and diversity, with over 74% of its staff taking DEI training.
• You will attend the Ruth K. Palmer Research Symposium, where nurses and other healthcare professionals meet to share the newest research developments and advancements on the Loyola Health Sciences campus.
• Loyola University of Chicago is ranked by U.S. News & World Report in its Best Nursing Schools category for Doctor of Nursing Practice education.
17. Georgia College & State University - Milledgeville, GA
Programs Offered: MSN
Georgia College & State University is home to another excellent Master of Science in Nursing WHNP online program. The program features fully online coursework and minimal in-person visits and can be completed in two to three years.
Through online classes and clinical experiences, you will learn how to care for the health needs of women across their lifespans. You will develop and hone your skills at community-based locations where you will work alongside licensed healthcare professionals providing gynecologic, pregnancy, reproductive health, and well-woman care.
The program includes a 40-credit hour curriculum
consisting of support, core, and specialty courses. You will attend one lab immersion week on campus and complete 45 hours of hands-on training under the supervision of faculty in a safe, controlled environment. Additional campus visits may be required for skills labs, guest lectures, or other scheduled events.
In addition to coursework, you will complete 675 clinical hours providing direct patient care in various settings dedicated to women’s health needs. Clinicals are arranged in locations near where you live with assistance from the SON Clinical Coordinator. All clinicals must occur in the state of Georgia but not necessarily near the campus.
To be considered for admission at Georgia College & State University, you must hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing, have a current RN license in the State of Georgia, and have one year of clinical nursing experience. Additionally, your GPA from your undergraduate degree must be 2.75 or higher. Along with an admissions interview, you will also need to submit three reference letters, official transcripts, a resume or CV, and a statement describing your professional goals.
Why Choose Georgia College & State University Online WHNP
• The university offers an internal job board to help WHNP graduates find jobs after graduating.
• The on-campus Georgia College Simulation and Translational Research center (STRC) provides a safe environment to perfect and hone your new skills.
• Suppose you are interested in a sub-specialty as a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. In that case, you can take advantage of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) Training room, where you can train and practice hands-on skills related to this specialty certification. SANE certification would pair well with your WHNP degree.
• You can take advantage of options to study abroad, such as the Georgia College- Honduras program, where you will have clinical experiences working in primary care, specifically with women and children.
• Georgia College & State University is ranked in the top 30 by U.S. News & World Report for their Online Master’s in Nursing Programs.
RN-to-MSN, MSN, BSN-to-DNP
, and Direct-Entry MSN
Regis College offers four online WHNP program options making it possible for registered nurses at the associate, bachelor's, and master’s levels to pursue a higher degree and become Women’s Health NPs. All classes are completed online, with required clinical rotations completed in your hometown.
The RN-to-MSN, MSN, and Direct-Entry MSN pathways can be completed in two to four years, depending on your courseload and enrollment status. You will complete MSN core courses in these pathways and then move on to specialty-specific studies. Depending on the number of transferrable credits you have, you will complete between 46 and 61 credits, including 724 clinical hours.
The BSN-to-DNP program features a 73-credit curriculum and typically takes three and a half years to complete. Post-baccalaureate students complete 664 clinical hours.
The MSN-to-DNP pathway is a 61-credit hour program that includes 600 clinical practicum hours. Most students complete the post-master's DNP program in two to three years, depending on the number of transferable credits and whether they enroll part-time or full-time. The DNP students may need additional credits or clinical hours based on analysis of their most recent nursing degree.
The MSN Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner online program is available to RNs with an associate degree in nursing and a non-nursing bachelor’s or baccalaureate degree in nursing. Candidates seeking admission to the Doctor of Nursing Practice pathway must have a BSN or MSN. You must have an active, unrestricted nursing license and a minimum GPA of 3.0 during your last completed degree.
In addition to submitting a completed application, you must provide official transcripts from any college or university you have attended, two letters of recommendation, a resume, and a statement of purpose. For the MSN-to-DNP program, you must submit a verification of hours form to determine the number of clinical hours you need to earn the DNP degree.
Why Choose Regis College Online WHNP
• Graduate assistantships are available to master’s level and above students pursuing a higher degree. You can help provide instruction to other students and get tuition assistance to help pay for your degree.
• Graduates of the program perform higher than the national average on national WHNP certification examinations.
• The university offers a Corporate Partner Tuition Discount
program that provides a 10-15% reduction in tuition for qualifying students.
• Alums receive a 10% discount on tuition if they return for another degree.
• You will learn from board-certified nursing instructors actively working in their field to ensure you can meet the demands of a changing healthcare landscape after graduation.
19. University of Missouri-St. Louis - St. Louis, MO
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
If you want to advance your nursing education and become a DNP, the University of Missouri-St. Louis has one of the best WHNP programs online. This terminal degree program prepares you to provide primary care to women across their lifespans.
The 70-credit hour program can be completed in three years of full-time study or four years if you enroll part-time. The BSN-to-DNP online WHNP program features online classes, independent research, and at least 1,000 graduate-level practicum hours. Additionally, you will attend four virtual or in-person seminars using simulation and other training models.
Eligible candidates will have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited university with a BSN cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and an active, unencumbered license to practice as a registered nurse. The university considers applicants using a holistic approach, including reviewing professional resumes, leadership roles, essays, and letters of recommendation.
Why Choose the University of Missouri-St. Louis Online WHNP
• The University of Missouri-St. Louis is designated as a Tier 1 national research University by U.S. News & World Report, indicating it is an excellent place to learn and conduct research related to your specialty.
• Graduates of the online WHNP program have excellent job placement rates after completing the program, with most employed within six months of graduation.
• You will be part of a culturally and ethnically diverse student population that creates a diverse and inclusive educational environment.
• The WHNP program features online courses provided through Canvas with in-house technical support to ensure you have access to the services you need to complete your degree.
20. Carlow University - Pittsburgh, PA
Programs Offered: MSN
Carlow University is home to the only WHNP program in Western Pennsylvania. The program is one of the best online WHNP programs in the nation.
At Carlow University, you will obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to advance your career as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner using current technology and evidence-based practices. You will learn to diagnose and treat conditions specific to women and their unique healthcare needs.
The Master of Science in Nursing WHNP online program is available part-time or full-time and can be completed in as few as 28 months. The program features a curriculum consisting of 49 credit hours. Most classes are delivered in an online format. However, some campus visits may be required.
In this program, you will complete 600 clinical hours. Clinical rotations will occur in urban and rural settings to give you diverse and enriching experiences. Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible to sit for board certification as a WHNP through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
and the American Nurses Credentialing Center
to the Carlow University MSN Women’s Health NP online program, you must have a BSN degree, an undergraduate GPA of 3.0, an active and unrestricted RN license, and one year of clinical nursing experience. You must submit your official college and university transcripts, a resume or CV, two letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and have completed an undergraduate statistics course.
Why Choose Carlow University Online WHNP
• You will learn from a dedicated team of instructors and support staff to ensure your online experience is meaningful. You will connect with a community of students and faculty to enhance your online experience.
• Carlow University offers a flat per-credit tuition rate to help you estimate the cost of your degree with no surprises.
• Graduates consistently have exceptionally high pass rates on WHNP certification exams.
• The university offers flexible options if you need to take a break during your program and resume or restart it later.
21. Georgetown University - Washington, DC
Programs Offered: MSN
Georgetown University offers baccalaureate-prepared registered nurses the opportunity to pursue a WHNP online program and earn an MSN or Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. At Georgetown, online students experience the same quality education found on-campus! As a student in one of these pathways, you will use your BSN degree as the foundation for your next level of practice, providing specialized skills and care to women in focused areas such as primary care, reproductive health, menopause, and more as a certified Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
The MSN degree program requires you to complete 44 credits, 783 hours of clinical experience, and two objective clinical intensives. You can complete the online WHNP program at Georgetown University in just 23 months.
The BSN-to-DNP program includes a 69 to 74-credit curriculum. Students in this pathway participate in two or three objective clinical intensives and 1,000 to 1,200 clinical practicum hours. The program can be completed in three years if you enroll full-time or four years if you choose part-time study.
Candidates for the MSN and BSN-to-DNP programs must hold a BSN degree from an ACEN- or CCNE- accredited nursing program and have an active RN license. Official college transcripts must reflect a cumulative GPA of 3.0 from your previous degree and a 3.0 science grade point average. Additionally, you must have completed a statistics course with a grade of C or higher. Applicants must submit a professional resume, personal statement, and three letters of recommendation. Participation in a live recorded interview is also required. BSN-to-DNP candidates must have at least one year of clinical nursing experience as a registered nurse.
Why Choose Georgetown University Online WHNP
• You will participate in live, online classes with HD-streaming and interactive 3D anatomy tools that provide you with a top-notch educational experience.
• You will learn from faculty who are fellows, leaders in women’s healthcare research and practice, and active clinicians.
• You will use the Intuitive Virtual Hub that gives you access to interactive curriculum, videos, and quizzes with optimized settings to suit your individual learning and sensory needs.
• WHNP Graduates have opportunities for professional development after graduation and beyond. You will have access to an extensive Georgetown alumni network and exclusive events to help you connect with people within your program and the greater nursing school.
22. Tennessee Tech University - Cookeville, TN
Programs Offered: BSN-to-DNP
Tennessee Tech University offers a blended online WHNP program designed to help you transition from a baccalaureate-prepared registered nurse to a Doctor of Nursing Practice and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner. The program is available part-time or full-time. You can complete the BSN-to-DNP WHNP pathway in three years if you enroll full-time or five years part-time.
The blended online format means the program features online coursework and on-campus intensives two to three times each year. The 84-credit curriculum is designed to provide you with advanced theoretical knowledge of advanced healthcare relevant to women. You will study topics such as Issues in Reproductive Health, Women’s Health Pharmacology, and Primary Care for Women’s Health.
The program includes 1,100 hours of direct patient care clinicals and culminates with the completion of a DNP Scholarly Project.
Admission to the BSN-to-DNP program is contingent upon having a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. You must submit GRE test scores if your grade point average is between 2.0 and 3.19. You must have an active RN license and meet the eligibility requirements to hold a Tennessee RN license. All candidates must submit three letters of recommendation, a writing sample on a specific topic, a cover letter, and a resume, and complete an admissions interview.
Why Choose Tennessee Tech University Online WHNP
• Numerous School of Nursing scholarships are available for graduate students, including the Bonnie Lamb Lee CRMC Volunteer Scholarship Endowment and the Allen Endowed Scholarship in Nursing.
• You will be assigned a nursing advisor experienced in the DNP program track to guide and assist you throughout your studies.
• You will learn from highly trained, award-winning faculty who are published authors and researchers, many of whom remain in active practice.
• Tennessee Tech University offers state-of-the-art research facilities where you can learn and hone your skills before applying them in clinical practicum and practice.
23. University of Colorado Denver - Aurora, CO
Programs Offered: MSN
Do you want to be a leader and change the future of healthcare for women? The University of Colorado Denver online WHNP program can help you achieve these goals. You can choose to earn a Master of Science in Nursing or a Doctor of Nursing Practice and learn to care for women from adolescence through the end of their life and provide the specialized care they deserve as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
You will focus on areas such as gynecology, childbirth, general wellness, health promotion, and disease prevention through a combination of online and in-person classes. You will work with an academic advisor to develop a plan for you regarding when you graduate and how the classes are delivered.
The MSN pathway can be completed in two years or six semesters of full-time study. Part-time students may take up to five years to graduate. The program consists of 46 credits and 630 direct patient contact hours
If earning a terminal degree in nursing interests you, the BSN-to-DNP pathway is an excellent choice. The program can be completed in four years if you enroll full-time or five years if you choose to study part-time. DNP WHNP students complete 49 credits
and 1,170 academically supervised clinical hours.
Admission to either of the University of Colorado Denver online WHNP programs requires a Bachelor of Science in Nursing earned from an accredited nursing program and a 3.0 or higher GPA for all undergraduate nursing coursework. Candidates must submit a written essay, curriculum vitae, or resume, three letters of professional and academic reference, all post-secondary official transcripts, and participate in an admissions interview.
Why Choose University of Colorado Denver Online WHNP
• U.S. News ranks the University of Colorado Denver as a Top Nursing School for Online Master’s Nursing.
• Classes for the online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner programs are taught by advanced practice registered nurses who are active in their field.
• You have access to the college of nursing scholarships worth up to $10,000.
• The university offers several opportunities for tuition assistance, including the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education Tuition Reduction program.
24. Northwestern State University of Louisiana - Shreveport, LA
Programs Offered: MSN
The Northwestern State University of Louisiana WHNP online program aims to train and produce advanced-level nurses who can innovate and incite change in the healthcare world. While serving a diverse student population, they aim to help you achieve your professional and educational goals.
The MSN WHNP program features a 42-credit curriculum. Full-time students can graduate in two years. Part-time students typically take three to four years to complete the program.
In addition to didactic coursework, you will complete 720 clinical practicum hours. Clinicals are arranged by faculty with your input and as close to your home as possible.
Like other online WHNP degree program requirements, to gain admission at Northwestern State University of Louisiana, you will need a bachelor’s degree, a minimum GPA of 2.5, including a minimum of 2.75 during your last 60 hours of your BSN degree, official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and proof of current vaccinations or a waiver for vaccines.
Why Choose Northwestern State University of Louisiana Online WHNP
• Northwestern State University is home to the oldest nursing program in Louisiana, reflecting the school’s commitment to nursing education.
• You will learn from doctorally-prepared faculty who genuinely want to help you succeed.
• Graduates of the Northwestern State University online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner program have high pass rates on national WHNP certification exams.
• The school offers job placement services to students, leading to most WHNP graduates obtaining employment within six months of graduation.
Most of these WHNP programs online allow you to become licensed in the state where you live, or you can later transfer your license to another state. It can be helpful to review the average salary in different states to understand how your income will vary if you decide to move.
A few factors that impact earning potential are the demand for services and the costs of living in specific areas. For example, in California, WHNPs earn approximately $143,720 annually. In Tennessee, the average income for Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners is $90,040.
The highest-paying states for online WHNP degree holders offer salaries ranging between $117,070 and $143,720. The top ten states for WHNP compensation are California, New Jersey, New York, Washington, Massachusetts, Oregon, Hawaii, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Nevada.
Even within certain states, you can find a variance in the pay based on the metro area. The ten highest-paying metros for graduates of accredited online WHNP programs are all located in California. The pay in these metros ranges from $139,870 in the Fresno metro to $187,300 in the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara metro.
If you want to improve your chances of getting accepted to one of these online WHNP programs, look at my 7 expert tips below:
Most online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner programs require candidates to have a minimum of one year of relevant work experience. If you have 1-3 years of experience in a women’s health-related field, you will improve your chances of being admitted.
You would not want to receive a contingent admission letter or even worse be denied admission simply because you did not complete the prerequisite courses. Double-check with each WHNP school before applying to make sure you have completed the necessary courses.
Most accredited online WHNP programs ask for a personal statement, letter of intent, or essay explaining why you want to become a WHNP. While it would be easy to rush through this, it can be the deciding factor between you and another applicant. Make your statement personal and compelling. Be sure to proofread and edit your submission before submitting it.
One way nursing programs, like online WHNP programs, sort through candidates is by using an admissions interview. The interview is your opportunity to talk directly with the program faculty. Practice answering possible interview questions with a friend or family member. Also, be sure to write down a few questions to ask the committee before wrapping up, as this shows your genuine interest in the program. Having a professional and fluid interview can help improve your chances of being admitted.
Many schools give preference to graduate applicants who completed their undergraduate degree at the same school. If you were successful in your BSN degree and your school offers an accredited WHNP program, consider applying there for admission.
Volunteer experience can strengthen your application and show you are serious and passionate about women’s health. It can improve your chances of being admitted to one of these top online WHNP programs.
While the GRE is not required at all schools, having an outstanding score can set you apart from other students. If you are an excellent test taker and do not want to take any chances about getting admitted to the school of your choice,
to improve your chances.
You may have started this article wondering, what are the best online women’s health nurse practitioner programs in the nation? If you are like me, you want to have as much information as possible on hand to help you make the right decision. Women’s health is such an important field and this population deserves dedicated nurses to care for them. My opinion is that, if you truly desire to care for women in a healthcare role, an online WHNP program is worth it. If you agree and feel it is time to get started, the 24 best accredited online WHNP programs in the nation for 2023 featured in this article are an excellent way to make that happen.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY OUR EXPERT
1. Is WHNP A Good Degree?
As a nurse, I believe a specialized degree such as a WHNP is an excellent option. It is rewarding to work in a field that needs more qualified nurses and to make a difference in the lives of women.
2. Can I Get My WHNP Degree Online?
Yes, you can get your degree online from any of the 24 WHNP online programs listed in this article.
3. Are Online WHNP Programs Well-Respected?
Online vs. on-campus programs only differ in the way courses are delivered. You will still complete the same number of clinical hours and rigorous coursework. If the program you choose is accredited, it will be well-respected by future employers and patients.
4. Do WHNP Online Programs Have To Be Accredited?
Yes, like most nursing programs at any degree level, each online WHNP program needs to be accredited by an appropriate agency.
5. Who Accredits Online WHNP Programs In The U.S.?
Most accredited online WHNP programs are certified by either the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
6. How Many Accredited Online WHNP Programs Are There In The U.S.?
There are 40 accredited online WHNP programs in the United States.
7. Are Campus Visits Required For Online WHNP Students?
Many online WHNP programs require on-campus visits at some point. These are scheduled ahead of time and allow you plenty of time to plan accordingly.
8. Are There Any Online WHNP Programs With 100% Online Classes And No Campus Visits?
Yes, there are a few WHNP online programs that are 100% online with no campus requirements, one example is the MSN online program through Kent State
9. Are Online WHNP Programs Hard To Complete?
Accredited online WHNP programs require time commitment and determination to complete. If you completed your BSN degree and are passionate about furthering your nursing career, the level of difficulty will be within your reach.
1. Are WHNP Online Programs Hard To Get Into?
Admission to WHNP online programs is competitive, but they are not harder to get into than on-campus programs.
2. How Many Online WHNP Programs Should I Ideally Apply To?
I would recommend you apply to at least four or five online WHNP schools to increase your chance of being admitted.
3. When Is The Application Deadline For Online WHNP Programs?
Application deadlines depend on the start dates for each program and if they offer rolling admission. Some online WHNP programs offering rolling admission do not have specific deadlines, such as Carlow University
where you can apply anytime for a start date each Fall. At The University of South Alabama
, they have three admission periods in the Fall, Spring, and Summer with the application deadlines occurring about six months before each start date.
4. Do Online WHNP Programs Accept Late Applications?
While I would never recommend needing to submit your application late, some online WHNP programs do offer exceptions. If you have missed an application deadline, consider applying for a school with rolling admissions.
5. What Is The Admission Rate For Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs?
The admission rate varies by school and program, it is much higher for MSN programs than for DNP programs. DNP WHNP programs usually only admit 5-10 students each year.
6. Will Applying Early Increase My Chances Of Admission Into Online WHNP Programs?
In some cases, yes, some schools have priority deadlines that will put your application ahead of students who apply later.
7. Is There A Waiting List For Online Women’s Health NP Programs?
Many online WHNP programs have waiting lists. Most colleges and universities keep a waitlist in case an accepted student drops out or chooses another school.
8. Are GRE Or GMAT Scores Required For Admission Into Online Women’s Health NP Programs?
Most schools no longer require GRE scores with a few exceptions. However, taking the exam and scoring well can strengthen your application and help increase your likelihood of admission.
9. What Is the Minimum GPA Required To Get Into Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs?
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is usually required, but I have seen online WHNP programs that will accept a GPA as low as 2.75.
10. Can I Get Into Online WHNP Programs With A Low GPA?
Yes, but your options will be limited, and you will likely need to take the GRE to boost your application.
11. Is Work Experience Required To Be Accepted into Online WHNP Programs?
Most online Women’s Health NP programs require applicants to have at least one year of work experience in a relevant healthcare setting.
12. Is There An Interview For Admission Into WHNP Online Programs?
Most nursing schools require admission interviews. The interviews may be live, online, or prerecorded.
13. How Many Prerequisite Courses Should I Complete To Get Into Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs?
Prerequisite course requirements vary among schools. Most online WHNP programs require applicants to complete an undergraduate statistics and research class before applying.
14. When Do I Need To Complete The Required Prerequisites For WHNP Online Programs: Before Or After I Apply?
You need to complete prerequisites before applying to avoid receiving a conditional admission offer or being denied admission.
1. Typically, When Do WHNP Online Programs Start?
Start dates vary from one school to the next. Some programs have one start date once yearly, and other programs have multiple start dates throughout the year. For example, Tennessee Tech’s
WHNP program has one start day in the fall, but Loyola University at Chicago
has two start dates in the Fall and Spring.
2. Are There Any Online Women’s Health NP Programs With Multiple Start Dates?
Yes, a lot of the programs have multiple start dates, including Regis College
(fall and Spring) and Frontier Nursing University
(Spring and Summer).
3. Are Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs Part-Time Or Full-Time?
Online WHNP programs may be offered part-time or full-time. Schools typically determine the available formats based on the number of available faculty, clinical sites, and preceptors.
4. Can I Work Part-Time And Successfully Complete My WHNP Degree Online?
It is possible to work part-time and complete an online WHNP program. Careful planning of your work and school schedules makes it easier to accomplish.
5. Can I Work Full-Time And Successfully Complete My WHNP Degree Online?
Although working full-time while completing a WHNP online program is possible, it can be difficult. You may need to adjust your work schedule to accommodate class requirements and clinicals.
1. Typically, How Long Does It Take To Get My WHNP Degree Online?
It typically takes 1-3 years to complete your MSN WHNP degree and 3-6 years to complete your DNP WHNP degree. The decision to go to school part-time or full-time is the major determining factor of how long it will take you to complete the program.
2. How Long Is Each Class In An Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Program?
The length of classes will vary based on the program format. Some schools offer semesters, quarters, or individually paced options.
1. Typically, How Much Does It Cost To Get My WHNP Degree Online?
An MSN WHNP online program can cost between $50,000-$100,00. DNP online WHNP degree programs can be between $50,000-$130,000. The costs of books, supplies, and other fees also affect the total cost of programs.
2. What Is The Typical Cost-Per-Credit For Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs?
The per-credit tuition rate for online WHNP programs varies. For example, each credit hour will cost you $1,984 at Duke University
or $682 at The University of Alabama at Birmingham
. Most schools have an average rate of $700 per credit hour.
3. Is The Cost Of An Online WHNP Degree Worth The Return On Investment (ROI)?
When you compare your income earning potential to the total cost of earning your degree through online WHNP programs, the cost is worth the Return on Investment.
4. Are Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Students Eligible For Scholarships?
Yes! There are several scholarships available to students in WHNP online programs.
5. Are Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Students Eligible For Grants?
Yes, any grant that is awarded to graduate or doctoral students can be used to pay for a degree through online WHNP programs.
6. Are Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Students Eligible For Student Loans?
There are two types of student loans, federal and private loans, available to graduate students. One example is the Federal Direct Plus Loan
7. Are Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Graduates Eligible For Loan Forgiveness Programs?
There are some loan forgiveness programs available to graduates of online WHNP programs. They include the Nurse Corp Loan Repayment Program, Indian Health Services Loan Repayment Program, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and some state-sponsored loan forgiveness programs
1. What Is The Best Online WHNP Program In The Nation?
Based on our ranking system, the best online WHNP program in the nation is offered at Duke University.
|Duke University - Durham, NC|
2. What Is The Average Class Size In Online WHNP Programs?
Class sizes for online WHNP programs are usually kept small to ensure students have the support and attention they need. Although class sizes vary, most limit the number to 15-20 students.
3. Do Online WHNP Programs Follow A Cohort Model?
Some online WHNP programs follow a cohort model with students starting at a specified time.
4. Typically, How Many Credits Do I Need To Earn To Get My Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Degree?
Typically, MSN WHNP graduates earn 30-60 credits, and DNP WHNP graduates earn 70-100 credits.
5. What Are The Total Number Of Courses In An Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Program?
This will vary widely by each school and degree type (MSN vs DNP). Most students take between 10 and 20 classes.
6. What Are The Hardest Classes In An Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Program?
This will be specific to you and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Some students may say Advanced Pharmacology, Pathophysiology in Women’s Health, Biostatistics and Obstetric Complications are the hardest classes in WHNP online programs.
7. Will My Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner School Help Me Find Internship Placements?
Many of these schools help with finding clinicals and internships.
8. Will My Online Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner School Help Me Find Job Placements?
Many WHNP schools offer job placement services for students. Those that do not directly help you find a job may connect you with alumni and associated organizations who can help you network and find a job.
1. How Much Do New Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs Make?
New graduates of online WHNP degree programs make approximately $75,220 per year.
2. On An Average, How Much Do Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs Make Per Hour?The average hourly rate for graduates of WHNP online programs is $53.72.
3. On An Average, How Much Do Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs Per Month?
WHNP online program graduates earn an average of $9,310 monthly.
4. On An Average, How Much Do Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs Make Per Year?
The average annual income for online WHNP program graduates is $111,733.
5. What Is The Highest-Paying State For Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs?
Graduates of online WHNP programs make the most in California, with an average income of $143,720 per year.
6. What Is The Highest-Paying Metro For Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs?
The highest-paying metro for graduates of online WHNP programs is San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara in California. The average income in that metro is $187,300.
|San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA|
7. What Is The Highest-Paying Work Setting For Graduates Of Online WHNP Degree Programs?
There are a lot of great jobs
for WHNPs, but the highest-paying job right now is being a travel nurse and filling temporary roles for WHNP positions.
1. Where Do The Majority Of Online WHNP Graduates Work?
The majority of online WHNP program graduates work in primary care clinics, OBGYN clinics, reproductive medicine settings, and gynecologic and urogynecology offices.
2. How Many Hours A Week Do Online WHNP Graduates Work?
Most WHNPs have typical schedules, with full-time being 32-40 hours and part-time being anything under 32 hours.
3. Are Online WHNP Graduates In High Demand?
The demand for WHNPs is significantly above average. The expected job outlook for graduates of WHNP online programs is expected to be 45.68% between 2021-2031.
|Job Outlook 2021-2031|
4. Are Online WHNP Graduates Happy With Their Career?
Every career comes with pros and cons. However, most WHNPs report being happy with their careers.